Well, I think I can officially say I have some inkling of what my lovely wife, April, has been going through for the last 18 months or so. Man, I am pooped out…and I get to do some homework when I leave here at 10PM. Joy!
Had kind of a weird experience with my last Art Institute Online class though. It was a basic web scripting class and I just started this new evening seasonal job (40 hours a week) and picked up a freebie short course on HTML programming. Needless to say, I think I might have overextended myself a tad. Oh yeah, I got in over my head alright.
So, here’s kinda what happened. (And here’s the final website)
1. I completely zoned out on Assignment #2 in Week #2 and just failed to turn in the assignment all together. Thus, I missed out on 20 points (which sucks, but I can live with).
2. I had a scenario a few weeks back on a Friday night where I went home from work and was up until about 4AM getting the assignment in. About 4 days later, I notice the teacher gave me 0 points because I turned in the assignment late. I immediately contacted him and asked how it was late as I had it in a cool two hours prior to the latest possible. He said he’d graded it on his system at work and the clock must have been incorrect. Good thing I noticed huh?
3. I get home last Monday night and the same thing happens. I’m up until a good 2AM and get the assignment in on time. The class ends two days later and I have the two critiques turned in for assignment #2 of week 6 early actually. Every day since then I’m checking the gradebook a few times daily to see how I did. Nothing.
4. Sunday (11/14) comes along. I’m three assignments into the next class and I go to see if my final has been graded yet. I have 0 out of 90 points (1/4 of my grade) and a big fat “D”. What? Turns out I backed up all the stuff I had on the student webserver to make some room and it removed my assignment. I immediately hop on the iPhone and, via Logmein.com connect to the Mac at home and re-upload within 8 minutes. Finally, at 6pm (this all started at 130p) he emails me back and says he checking it to grade it now.
5. I go to check my grade that night at 1030p and it’s 70 out of 90 pts with 20 off because he says there’s no “form” within the site. What? I put one on the main contacts page purposely at the end of the assignment just to make sure I fulfilled all the requirements. I had to email back and ask him to look again and, sure enough, he did. Guess what?
I got the full 90 pts and a “B” at the end of all this. Now, imagine if I didn’t watch my grades on a regular basis. Granted, I’d know that I didn’t deserve a “D”, but still.
Okay, frustration out now and I can go ahead and move on from that nightmare.
So, what else to talk about. Not much really. I do think the whole idea of Facebook’s new messaging thingie is pretty cool. That should really change things up some.
Not much else really going on.
Hopefully, I can keep this updated a little better from here on out. Here are some of my recent Video Bloggie links…